Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dinner, Homemade (lime)Chili.

I don't know about you, but I have always hated chili.
I have also always hated  Cantaloupe, and Honeydew melon. 
These are foods that I have always wanted to love! I see people eating them, and they loooove them! 
And I'm not gonna lie, I get a little jealous!  
Lately, I have been trying to pinch my pennies, and use all of the food that I have here, instead of buying new ingredients all of the time, so a couple of nights ago, I decided to try something new. 
A homemade chili.
Well, a sort of chili, just with everything in my cabinets!


1 can of black beans
1 can of unsweetened corn
1 or 2 cans of diced tomatoes
-or 3 or 4 fresh tomatoes skinned and diced
1 small can diced chili's
1 whole lime
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1/2 of a large white onion, chopped
season as you like salt, pepper, chili powder
olive oil
optional:
sour cream
shredded cheese 
cilantro


In a large pan, drizzle a little olive oil, and sautee the onions, and garlic until they have softened a little bit. 
Add the rest of the ingredients in no particular order... turn the heat down a little bit, and let 'stew' for about 30 minutes.
The longer it sits, the more the flavors will come out....


Serve, and top with cheese, sour cream, and cilantro! YUM!









3 comments:

  1. now who is jealous? me. this made me drool!!! i too have always hated chili until my eyes were opened to those of vegetarian varieties (stew like consistency with ground beef just sounds horrible).

    i guess i will just have to come have leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are loads of extras with your name on them!
      xo

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have to try this recipe myself! Would love if you checked out my Thursday link party or thriftfanatics page (;

    xx
    Cecilia
    dearestlou.com

    ReplyDelete