Saturday, February 18, 2012

Homemade Flour Tortillas

I had the day off today, and after cleaning, homework, garage sales, and taking Alabama for an hour walk, it was only 12pm. 
I didn't quite know what to do with myself, so I decided to try some new recipes I have been dying to try.  
I love cooking, and being in the kitchen, and I would LOVE to share some of my creations with you... 
But I have a problem doing so because my place have awful lighting, and my entire kitchen is Yellow. 
Yes, yellow. 
The refrigerator, dishwasher, oven, all of the counters, are Yellow. 
Well...
Technically it's called 'Harvest Gold.'
My place was built in the 70s, and my landlord has yet to remodel. 
Anyway-this is a problem because anything I photograph in the kitchen ends up looking like a yellow blur.
But today-I was successful with some photos! 
So here goes! 

Flour Tortillas
2 3/4 cups of flour
5 tblespoons of vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup very warm water


 Add the salt and hot water and set the side for the salt to dissolve.
Mix the flour, and oil with your fingers until it is consistently mixed in, once you have done this, add the salty water, and mix in immediately until you have a big doughy ball.
This mixture makes about 12 small tortillas, so make 12 balls of dough.
Or make less balls with more dough to make bigger tortillas.
Cover and set aside for about 30 minutes.


Turn on a skillet pan to medium heat and let it heat up completely.
While you are waiting, LIGHTLY flour a rolling surface and start to roll out your dough's into circles.
Toss your rolled out dough onto your UN-GREASED skillet.
There is enough oil in the dough, that these babies don't stick at all.


Once it bubbles up a little, or get a few brown spots, flip it over!
This doesn't take more than a few minutes for each tortilla.


Set aside, and stack 'em up!
These wont stick to each other, and aren't greasy, so feel free to just put them all in one pile.



Add some of your favorite ingredients and ENJOY!
Like avocado, a little salsa, lemon juice and cilantro!
YUMMM!!








No comments:

Post a Comment