Monday, October 17, 2011

#14-Pickled Ginger

I recently discovered cooking with vinegar! I have always used it when washing Alabama's beds, and with getting weird smells out of things... but I have never used it with cooking(besides balsamic vinegar in salads! YUM!!). Until about a month ago.
Apple Cider, Balsamic, Distilled, White Wine, Red Wine, Rice.... I mean... the list goes on and on and on. Last month I went nuts over using apple cider vinegar to make Peach Salsa, which was SO good! And last week I made a really simple salad with Cucumber, tomatoes, onion, s/p and White wine Vinegar. I am also dying to try a quinoa recipe with Red wine vinegar....

But today I made picked ginger.  It's the ginger that they serve with sushi next to the wasabi. I happen to love it, and it really settles my stomach which I really need.  I am fortunate enough that Ryan hates it, and is more than happy to give me his portion! YUMM!!!
I thought I would try to extend my vinegar cooking extravaganza and give it a shot!

8 oz of Gingerroot
1 1/2 Teaspoon Course Salt
1/4 Cup of Sugar
1 cup White Wine Vinegar

1. Peel ginger, and slice as thinly as possible!! Add the sliced ginger to a bowl
2. Add in salt, mix with your hands, and try to make sure all of the ginger is coated
3. Let sit in refrigerator for about an hour
4. Here's where it gets weird... the goal is to get rid of the liquid that the ginger has just shed, I put it on a paper towel and just squeezed it over the sink
5. Add ginger to a jar
6. Add sugar and vinegar to a non-reactive pan, let simmer until all of the sugar is liquid, only a couple of minutes
7. Pour mixture into the jar over the ginger, replace cap, and refrigerate for 3 days!
DONE!

Step #2, this is what it should look like after you have sliced it and salted it, Now shove it in the fridge!  

After you have added the vinegar and let it sit for a little while, the ginger will turn pink! 







No comments:

Post a Comment